Re: DOT Race Tires may become illegal

To: Black94PGT@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: DOT Race Tires may become illegal
From: Larrybsp@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 12:51:42 EDT
from:larrybsp@aol.com (Larry Stark)

               James,
                 What planet are you on? You have no idea of the implications
of banning "R" rated tires would have. First and foremost its big brother
telling you what can and can't do once again. Secondly there is no logical
reason to ban "R" tires. How many SUVs have seen with them. Thats beside the
point that as far as I know "R" rated tires aren't made in SUV sizes. The
loss of  "R" tires would force many people to have to give up racing. I road
race a C4 Corvette on 315/35-17 Kumho's. If the law goes through Kumho would
stop making "R" rated tires. My only other option would be Hoosier race
slicks assuming Hoosier is still in business after the loss of the "R" tire
business. I can run a set of Kumho's all season. If I have to switch to
Hoosier I would have to redo my whole suspension setup, something it took me
long time to get dialed in. I would also have to buy $800 - $1000 worth of
Hoosier tires every race weekend something I can't afford. My only other
option is Z rated street tires which go for $I600 a set on my car and even
shaved would last one week end and would scare the hell out me on the track
at the speeds I go.  I will have invested a small fortune in a car I can't
use. As for the SCCA, they're useless. Wake up and smell the
BS from Washington. Beaurocracies are staffed by people who couldn't get a
job in the real world. FWIW.
                                           Larry