RE: DOT Race Tires may become illegal

To: <jesvilla@gte.net>, "'james creasy'" <Black94PGT@pacbell.net>
Subject: RE: DOT Race Tires may become illegal
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 13:50:43 -0700
My concern would be that our government, in the interest of "safety",
would establish regulatory requirements that would make it impossible
for any tire to attain the dry clean pavement performance that we can
get with current "R" tires or even high performance street tires like
the Pirelli P0.

The Ford / Firestone case showed that many people don't maintain their
tires properly and when they blow up they expect to sue somebody over it
even if it was caused by their own negligence. In such a litigious
environment the manufacturers really wouldn't have any choice but to
"overbuild" the tires. So maybe they require multiple steel belts,
runflat construction, deep tread or other things that may increase
safety but also increase weight and reduce autocross performance.

That's a good thing because it's great to have "idiot proof" tires for
people who need them. But if the new regulations aren't written
intelligently, then "idiot proof" tires might become our only choice.
That would be a bad thing.