Re: Power Lug Nut Removal/Installation

To: "Mike V Taylor (Comcast)" <mikevtaylor@comcast.net>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Power Lug Nut Removal/Installation
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 16:49:39 -0800
At 03:53 PM 12/6/2002, Mike V Taylor (Comcast) wrote:
>You know, it seems like a few people use cordless drives to install their
>lug nuts. Can i ask what the real advantage is over a good, old fashioned,
>cheap speed wrench? I just pull out my 4 pt. lug wrench and spin on the lug
>nuts just as fast as you guys do. I bet I pull them off in about the same
>time too. Am I missing something?

No. Some people like using tools or conserving their energy. I use the 4
point lug wrench also and it's pretty fast. The total time to spin on or
off a lug nut is not too much different from my experience with cordless
drivers. My normal time to change over all 4 rims is under 11 minutes.
Maybe a cordless driver would drop it by one or two minutes?

One of the keys is to keep identify which part of the wrench you use (I
wrap a band of tape in it) and then keep the part that spins on your hand
highyl polished and lightly lubed. When it's working well, one spin per lug
is all it takes.

But maybe one of these days I will move over to the darkside and get one of
those 18Volt cordless drivers.

Randy Chase
http://www.conecam.com/
1990 Celica Alltrac Turbo
2000 Renspeed shifter kart w/ Lexus RX-300 tow vehicle
1995 Honda Soccermobile
2004 Lotus Elise....waiting....waiting