Re: Power Lug Nut Removal/Installation

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Power Lug Nut Removal/Installation
From: "Andy Nguyen" <aqn@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 10:40:02 -0500 (EST)
"Mike V Taylor (Comcast)" <mikevtaylor@comcast.net> wrote:
> You know, it seems like a few people use cordless drives to install their
> lug nuts. Can i ask what the real advantage is over a good, old fashioned,
> cheap speed wrench? I just pull out my 4 pt. lug wrench and spin on the lug
> nuts just as fast as you guys do. I bet I pull them off in about the same
> time too. Am I missing something?

  I think most people can do lug nuts manually just as quickly as with
  power assist, but it does take more effort.  Another thing about keeping
  the effort low: put anti-seize compound on the threads.  In addition to
  its intended function of, well, preventing seized fasteners, it'd also
  make the threads slicker and easier to spin on/off.

  In my case, I would like to get a cordless driver because my current
  race wheels are not hub-centric.  It always takes more effort to put on
  the first two or three bolts because the weight of the wheel/tire is
  pulling down on the bolts at that point.  (Using "pins" to "hang" the
  wheels in place first doesn't help.)  It's much more time-consuming
  and somewhat more of a physical struggle to put on the race wheels
  than the street wheels (which ARE hub-centric).

--
Andy Nguyen \ aqn at panix dot com \ http://www.panix.com/~aqn/