Re: Power Lug Nut Removal/Installation

To: autox@autox.team.net, aschmiechen@discovercolor.com
Subject: Re: Power Lug Nut Removal/Installation
From: Guy Schalnat <guy-schalnat@cinci.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 18:43:40 -0500
You're still removing the lug nuts by hand?  I at least use my portable
drill/screwdriver.  The routine goes:

One wheel at a time: Break nuts loose with bar.  Jack up car.  Remove nuts with
drill, catch in left hand.  Remove wheel.  Put on
other wheel.  Hand start nuts.  Tighten nuts with drill.  Tighten a bit tighter
with bar.  Lower car.  Tighten a bit tighter with
bar.  After all wheels done, go around with torque wrench and tighten them to
correct torque.  Yes, there are a few extra steps
compared to having an impact wrench, but that's a set of tires we're talking
about, and it isn't really that much slower.  And it
is cheaper.  My two battery drill has plenty of power, especially since I've
learned to stop tightening with the drill when they
are snug.  I splurged and got the deep socket.  Next year, I may get another
one so I don't have to transfer the socket from one
tool to another.

Of course, it helps that I have a cooler that is just the right height for
sitting on while doing all of this, so I'm not
uncomfortable or kneeling or anything (and drinks are nearby).

-Guy