Re: Power Lug Nut Removal/Installation

To: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Power Lug Nut Removal/Installation
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 22:24:09 -0600
Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net> wrote >
> I used to use a brace and bit type spinner.  (Don't know what it really
> called.)  About 5 bucks.

I have heard this called a "speed wrench", and seen that written in tool
catalogs.  I have used this at autocrosses in the past and it is quite fast.

I forget who wrote  > >
> > You know, it seems like a few people use cordless drives to install
their
> > lug nuts. Can i ask what the real advantage is over a good, old
fashioned,
> > cheap speed wrench? I just pull out my 4 pt. lug wrench

I have heard this called a "cross-tee" wrench.

I have also called it a "chiropractor's friend" by folks who had trouble
removing frozen nuts this way.

Non-autocross notes:  For less-than-Charles-Atlas people, I suggest an
impact socket and breaker bar be packed in the car for emergencies.  I have
demonstrated at car clinics how this can be used pedally rather than
manually to loosen stubborn lug nuts.  Sometimes this can be done with a
car's factory wrench.  It cannot be done with a cross-tee.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com