Re: Power Lug Nut Removal/Installation

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Power Lug Nut Removal/Installation
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 13:28:10 -0600
> One of the keys is to keep identify which part of the wrench you use (I
> wrap a band of tape in it) and then keep the part that spins on your hand
> highyl polished and lightly lubed. When it's working well, one spin per
lug
> is all it takes.
=====================================
This reminds me of a question I've had for a while now.  A few of my wheels
studs, for some odd reason, don't allow the 4-way to simply spin-on the lug
nuts easily.  About 17-18 out of 20 of my lug nuts twist down to "snug" with
one spin of the 4-way and little resistance but those last few seem to
require being turned-on by hand all the way.

I've always used a small amount of anti-seize on the studs and each year
cleaned off the old crud with brake cleaner and then reapplied a little
fresh anti-seize.  I hand torque each wheel with a torque wrench and set
them to 95 ft/lbs, splitting the difference between the factory service
manuals spec of 90-100 ft/lbs.  I have used several sets of lug nuts over
the years but never even once used an impact to spin them on.  All were
hand-spun tight and then hand torqued by me even at the wheel shops.

I had planned to replace them anyway as they are still the OE ones and are
now over 4 years old.  I ran two years in Stock Category, changing the
wheels twice each weekend, and then two years in Street Touring where I
didn't have to change them each weekend.

What's going on here?  Are new studs in my near future?

Eric Linnhoff, Zone 7 Defense Commander
www.geocities.com/eric10mm/KnuckleDragger
"Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone
you may still exist but you have ceased to live."
Mark Twain