Re: Lime Rock

To: JAshburne@aol.com, geodav-lou@worldnet.att.net,
Subject: Re: Lime Rock
From: HealeyRic2@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 07:29:09 EDT
As a spectator for more than 15 years at the festival I note the following:
1.  Crowd size has been diminishing steadily for the last 2-3 years.  The
past 2 years
     have had some really nasty weather that could be blamed for that, but
this
     year's weather was good overall.
2.   Concours participation was down about 2/3 from previous years.  No
Shelbys
       and no Vipers.  Participation could be upped considerably by removing
the $50
       entry fee.  On Sunday, the car show and flea market are pretty much
the                 whole show. It seems to me that spectating on Sunday is
going to be reduced
       if the car show shrinks so dramatically.
3.    For me, the scale is starting to tip towards newer cars than I'm
interested in.
       I like the production cars from 50s -70s.  Maybe I'm getting older,
but it
       bothers me to see IMSA cars racing as "vintage".  Doesn't seem that
long
       ago that I was watching these cars race at Sebring.  And who thinks
       anyone is interested in watching NASCAR vehicles during this event?
4.     Again, the "little guy" appears to be getting the short straw.  Flea
market
        spaces went up from $100 to $200.  A lot of vendors were complaining
and
         there was a notable absence of the guy who was cleaning out his
                        garage/basement of parts in favor of the commercial
vendors.  Plenty of
           spectators come primarily for the flea market and are going to be
          turned off if the parts they find are already available by catalog.
5.      Same thing with the "little guy" racers.  Seems to me participation in
         the 50's -70's production car races were down.  I noticed some of
         the "regulars" absent and heard some talk that increasing entry fees
         was one of the reasons.
6.       No featured marque this year accompanied by a "name" associated with
          the marque.
7.      Addition of auction on Sunday was great idea.  I don't know how it
compared
          to other auctions, but it seemed that a bunch of cars didn't make
their
         reserve.  There did seem to be some genuine bargains for
bottom-feeders
         though.
8.       Event T-shirt stunk.  (Talk about nitpicking).  Again, focus on the
newer cars          made the shirt look like one I could pick up for the
Memorial Day event.
Sounds like I had a miserable weekend, but I didn't. As usual, I had a great
time. It's just that I love this event and hate to see it's essence
diminished by a change in focus.

Rick