Lime Rock

To: "Vintage Race Digest" <vintage-race-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lime Rock
From: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 10:42:20 -0400
GDavidson <geodav-lou@worldnet.att.net> asks re. LRP last weekend.

As someone who first went to the BMW Vintage Fall Festival back in 1986, I
can only say that my perspective was clouded by this being the first time I
was a participant.  (No off-track excursions, best time in qualifying of
1:18, finished ahead of all the cars in my group that broke or crashed. And,
drove the same car through rush hour traffic on I-95 yesterday from New
Jersey to
Fairfield, CT.) But, the short time I spent viewing the action from the hill
overlooking the Esses make it quite clear that spectator numbers were down
dramatically.  The last time I was able to attend a few years ago, the
outfield hill AND the hill over the Esses were filled like Coney Island on a
hot summer day - people cheek to jowl.  Not this year though.

As for the departure of SVRA & advent of HSR, personally, I find it less
than ideal.  HSR brought in the IMSA GTP cars that just seem too new to me,
and perhaps others.  If I want to watch cars like that, I'll go to LRP on
Memorial Day,
or Sebring for the 12 hour.  The Vintage Fall Festival has traditionally
been for "old" cars.

When Charlie Gibson of Sasco Sports organized this event with the full
inclusion of the VSCCA, it was a pleasure to attend.  Now, it seems like
it's just track time for the participants.  The diversity of cars is just
too great.  Think about it.  When you have cars as old as the 1928 Buick &
Bugatti that ran this weekend competing for attention with a 1993 Pontiac
Gran Prix (And, I'm sure I saw a Ferrari 333P on one grid), that diversity
dissipates the focus on great old cars.  It's like a smorgasbord vs. fine
dining.  Sure, some people like the former, but aficionados much prefer
the latter.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB daily driver, occasional vintage racer #477