Re: Our Sport

To: Robert Alder <alder_rj@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Our Sport
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 11:16:50 -0700
Bravo, Robert. Very well put. I think most of the incidents in the last
year that I've seen or heard about from those involved could be explained
by somebody being on the wrong side of one of your comparisons. In
particular, I would cite the following examples of "racing" that I would
consider inappropriate for "vintage racing".

1) Two faster cars come up behind a slower car who generously points them
by. The SECOND of the two faster cars decides to take this "opportunity"
to blow them both off by going around the slow car on the side OPPOSITE
to the one pointed to. This is a recipe for disaster. The two faster
cars should go around the slower car single file and then resume their
dicing. The fact is, there will always be speed differences. Some groups
are so mixed, the older cars in the group can't possibly go as fast as
the newer ones, even given equal ability and desire. The driver of the
slower car paid just as much to be on the track as the drivers of the
faster cars. If everybody gives each other enough room to do what they
gotta do, it's not a problem. The admonition to not do something
unexpected applies to the faster cars as well as the slower cars being
passed.

2) You decide to try something real aggressive to get around a car that's
ACTIVELY blocking you. Unless it was the feature race, I'd pull in to the
black flag station myself to report the other driver. In the groups I run
with, qualifying is done by fastest lap time, not by position at the end
of the heat. It would only cost one lap time to pull in and complain. If
the stewards are alerted to the other driver's blocking, and pay more
attention to it, he should get pulled in for a much longer discussion.

3) There is no excuse for spinning out in the first practice session of a
weekend. This happened at the recent CSRG event at Sears. Mid-morning on
Friday, a Lotus FFord was being lifted onto the trailer by the tow truck
after trying to plow the dirt sideways in the esses. The driver was very
fortunate not to be hurt. The car was a mess. You just have to take it
easy and work your way up to speed. Some weekends, it just seems like
people wake up stupid. This is a serious business. You have to have your
head screwed on straight.

This is one of the best discussions so far on this list. Thanks all.