RE: Our Sport

To: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Subject: RE: Our Sport
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 15:56:48 -0400
Your points get no argument from me.  My racing attitude is what we all
agreed "Corinthian" meant even though I'm sure we made up a new
definition  ;)   I spent 6 years on the VARAC driver conduct committee.  In
all that time we sat one driver down for the offence of "gratuitous
touring"  (wasn't what he was actually doing, or what we called it at the
time).  He had a F5000 (which we allow by invitation only, but we had
allowed his entry on the day)  and the problem was that when the FFords
came round to lap him three laps into each session he couldn't see them in
his mirrors, and the combination of a real big car with huge potential and
very slow lap speeds presented real problems.  So we asked him to sit out
the race.

My initial comments, BTW, were a bit of a rant, and identified as such.  If
I had to make a real easy to grasp, bottom line differentiation between
racing and touring, it's that in racing passing in the corners is allowed
and expected, and in touring it isn't - pass only on the straights.  I have
no problem grasping the difference between vintage racing and SCCA, Pro,
Winston Cup, etc. - vintage racing is the one with a column with little
curls on top ;)

Brian

Brian Evans
Director, Global Sales