Re: Corner stations

To: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Corner stations
From: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 15:22:00 -0500
> From: Mark Palmer <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>

> One comment: "2) Running enduros without a full compliment of corner
workers
> can lead to very serious consequences."
>
> Completely agree -- we really shouldn't run ANY race-format sessions
(sprint
> race, qualifying, etc) without full complement of corner stations.
>
> If we're understaffed, stewards should remind drivers of 2 things at
Friday
> driver meeting: 1) today is PRACTICE ONLY, do not drive as if it is a
race;
> 2) corner stations are "minimally staffed", so drive accordingly.

Mark and everyone else,

One important thing I have learned as a nationally licensed corner worker
is that to many of the workers, many (if not most) vintage events are
considered to be at the bottom of the racing food chain. At Road America,
when CART races there, you can expect to see as many as 200 corner workers
show up. Many of them don't show up to work for any other events all
season. This past weekend, there were probably around 40-45 corner workers
for the Saturday and Sunday of the VSCDA weekend. Corner worker count for
Friday was 25. This number is barely adequate for a track the size of Road
America, especially since there are many parts of it where corner workers
have no safe avenues to travel to an incident. Even though there was line
of sight coverage of the whole track, it is possible in such circumstances
to break down over 1/4 mile from a manned corner station. In such a case,
response time will be quite long. This is not meant as criticism, it is
just a statement of fact.

Not only does what Mark says above make lots of sense, IMHO all drivers
should also make sure that their personal safety equipment is the best it
can possibly be. You don't want to skimp on safety when help is several
minutes away.

Irv