Re: Reflections on a racing incident

To: "Dick Buckingham, Jr." <rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Reflections on a racing incident
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 07:09:59 -0500
Dick,

Thank you for your comments.

I'm a bit confused. If VMC is not a "national licensing org." as you say,
then you've got a publicity problem. I understood that the $35 I sent in
every 2 years and received a VMC license in return was one of the main
reasons behind VMC. The other, to coordinate 13/13 issues on a national
basis. I never got the impression that insurance issues were your major
charter.

With the exception of one newsletter a year, I see very little visibility
for the group, and subsequently did not renew my "license".

In my opinion, the flag discussion is a perfect opportunity for your
organization to step up, and attempt to clarify a very dangerous (and
common) situation in vintage racing today. I've been at many many driver's
meeting where the race chairman and the chief steward's impression of the
flagging rules were in direct contrast.

As far as member clubs that do not subscribe to VMC adopted policies... and
don't report infractions, or require medical forms, why are they still
members? It was my impression that you had a far better level of cooperation
regarding 13/13 sanctioned drivers. Your statement that only 23 race groups
or organizations are members shocks me. It's my understanding that there
were almost 200 race organizations in the US and Canada. Is that true? If
so, I understand your lack of leverage.

I totally understand car eligibility issues to be one far beyond the scope
of your group. But this issue that's been discussed is a perfect opportunity
for VMC to step up, and identify a very dangerous situation that affects all
vintage racer's safety. It certainly could be an insurance issue if racers
are given one verbal set of instructions, and contrary instructions in
written documentation.

WST
Team Thicko
( a race "organization"... a term used REALLY loosely here... with over 300
members worldwide)