Re: Reflections on a racing incident

To: Jeremy Braithwaite <atroz@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Reflections on a racing incident
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 18:44:17 -0500
I guess we have to face the reality of mixed grids for the sake of scheduling
and track time, but mixed grids are inherrently more dangerous than grids of
cars that act more similarly. Putting FF's and F500's in the same group mixes
cars of vastly different speeds and is certainly more dangerous, but at least
they are all open wheelers and the drivers are more likely to be of the same
mind-set.

The occasional occurrence of grouping open- and closed-wheel cars together is
especially bad, since open wheel cars usually corner quicker but are usually not
as fast on straights as the cars they are grouped with. There is a usually a
difference in driver mentality as well, at least among the very good drivers. We
mix these in the U.S. in enduros, but usually without incident, because in these
races there seems to be a heightened awareness that the most important part on
the car is the rear view mirror.

The laws of physics dictate that mixing light and heavy cars will always result
in more damage to the light car in a collision, but unfortunately, there usually
just aren't enough cars to keep them separate. Unfortunate dilemma.