Re: Reflections on a racing incident

To: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: Reflections on a racing incident
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:10:57 -0400
At VARAC, we regularly (5 to 6 times a year) race in a mixed grid situation
when we run with the regional guys, and get one race slot for Vintage.  We
have very few incidents - I can't think of any in 10 years - of an open
wheel car and a closed wheel car coming together.  This doesn't mean it
isn't more dangerous than separate open and closed wheel grids - it does
mean that we talk about it a lot - ad nauseum to some - and we take a lot
of care with what we do.

I personally characterize the racing we do in mixed grid situations as
8/10th's running.  Faster cars often come up behind a gaggle of slower
cars, the leader of the fast pack throws up his arm, and racing is
suspended until all the faster cars are by all the slower cars, usually on
the next straight.  The net result is that even with the increased risk, we
seem to have fewer incidents in our regional mixed grid races than we do at
the big events were racing is more intense, and cars are gridded more
logically.

The biggest risk I've seen appears to be when F70 type cars - wings, slicks
and horsepower - are gridded with FJuniors and FFords.  They have dramatic
differences in speeds, open wheels, and drivers with relatively more
intense attitudes that seem to result in more, more dangerous, incidents.

Brian

Brian Evans
Director, Global Sales
UUNET, An MCI WorldCom Company