Re: Reflections on a racing incident

To: "vintage race net" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Reflections on a racing incident
From: "Jim & Ann Brown" <thebrowns@pdq.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 17:56:37 -0500
Craig Wright writes,

> This thread reminds me of the speech airline flight attendants give before
> take off. Every airline says exactly the same thing as dictated by the
FAA.
> Those of us who fly often would probably have no disagreement on safety
> procedures in case of an accident. Repetition and constancy leads to
strong
> habits. Sanctioning bodies should emulate the airlines and reiterate the
> basic flag rules at EVERY meeting.

SNIP

Craig,

I agree with your point 100%, but, as a practical matter, how long ago did
you tune out the standard speech by airline flight attendants?  Suppose it
changed?  Would you even hear the change?  I think I can honestly say that I
just do not hear the speech any more at all.  And nowadays I tend make a
round-trip flight on a nearly daily basis -- perhaps that is the problem, in
my case.

The point being, of course, that repeatedly speaking the message is no
substitute for hearing the message.  In another context, it is no substitute
for attending every drivers' meeting and focusing on what is said.  I hasten
to agree with you that the basic rules of flagging should be repeated at
every meeting, and I hasten to fault my own club in this respect.  But let's
not forget the listening.  Drivers cannot be permitted to pass the buck to
the stewards, marshals, clerks, control, by whatever title, or to the often
unappreciated hardworking volunteer flagmen/women.

I am one who believes that harsh, if not Draconian, measures must be taken
with drivers from time to time when there is reason to believe that they do
not observe the flags under the pressure of competition, or that they do not
comprehend what the flag is intended to communicate, or that they comprehend
but ignore the flag.

There are even some out there who believe that the very use of flagging can
engender complacency on the part of drivers.  For example, in the 'glory
days' in Europe the great drivers were expected to be familiar with the
course, including its blind spots, and they were expected to take upon
themselves the responsibility for safely coping with unexpected incidents
and obstructions.  I am not one of those; I believe strongly in the safety
element of properly displaying and observing flags -- if every participant
plays his or her role intelligently.  Too many of those drivers in the glory
days died in their office.

I believe you and I are on the same frequency, but perhaps your advice might
be taken just a bit further.

All the best,

Jim Brown
Houston