Re: Flaggers

To: FHammett@aol.com
Subject: Re: Flaggers
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:06:50 -0400
The flaggers and corner-workers at Mosport, Shannonville, etc. - VARAC and
CASC territory - have a funny little dance that they do when they *really
mean* a yellow.  I've never really been uncertain as to when I really
needed to get off it, and slow right down.  The problem probably is the 5
or 10 second lag between when the track is blocked by a developing
incident, and when the flaggers can react and get their dance
going.  Latency is the bane of many systems, and this is one of them.

The funny dance, BTW, consists of furiously waving both yellow flags, to
the extent of almost bouncing off the ground with effort, while the
assistant corner worker waves both arms to attract your attention, and to
guide you to one side or other, or get you stop if required.  The dance,
though funny, is never humorous.

Brian (who is a licensed corner-worker, but who usually contributes time as
a Scrutineer when needed instead)

At 08:31 PM 09/16/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 09/16/1999 8:15:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>Mactds@aol.com writes:
>
> > Any flagger on my post who throws a red flag without direction from race
> >  control WILL NOT be on my station for long! There are very good reasons
>for
> >  this structure - having "loose cannons" around the track is one of them.
> >
> >  Maura
> >  SCCA Flagger with 24 years on the feet
> >

>Maura,
>If you get a call from a flagger who tells you that there is a wreck on a
>blind corner which totally blocks the track, how long would it take you to
>tell him and the other corners to put out the red or black flag?
>
>frank

Brian Evans
Director, Global Sales
UUNET, An MCI WorldCom Company