Re: Starter Motors Part 2

To: <JWoesvra@aol.com>, <VINTAGE-RACE@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter Motors Part 2
From: "Carter Hendricks" <carter@i1.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 14:18:10 -0500
Hi--

I agree on almost all of this...

-----Original Message-----
From: JWoesvra@aol.com <JWoesvra@aol.com>
To: carter@i1.net <carter@i1.net>; VINTAGE-RACE@autox.team.net
<VINTAGE-RACE@autox.team.net>
Date: 31 May, 1999 7:50 AM

>There is really nothing wrong with the Lucas starters if

well the if's are a bit of a problem but
a properly functioning unit without a
lot of prior lives might be fine...

>The Jap starters eliminate these problems.

...and the late Bosch planetary ones are
cool, too.  But they finally do fail if run into the
ground,and only then are they sent to rebuilders.
It must be a hard life to try to commercially rebuild
a technically complex bit of machinery in indifferent
surroundings using cheap knockoff parts and under
tight price pressure.  A large comeback ratio is just
part of the territory.

[the only good rebuilt units I've seen are the
-recent- Bosch factory ones].

Most rebuilders -are- bad, and the best test of quality
is price.  It might not make much sense to use junk parts
on a beater Corolla.  But putting a cheap rebuilt starter
on a race car might be no smarter than trying another
Lucas which had travelled through Moss Motors for the
5th or 6th time.

                                                    --Carter