Re: Starter Motors Part 2

To: MHKitchen@aol.com
Subject: Re: Starter Motors Part 2
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 14:57:20 -0400
When I did a bunch of research a few months ago regarding starter motors, I
realized that one potentially big difference between the Tilton units and
many, if not all, of the cheaper units, is that the Tiltons are based on new
motors, to which they add their adaptor nose.  The cheaper units are based
on rebuilt motors.  When I made up my adaptor plate/nose, I put it on a
rebuilt motor that Britian West gets from a local rebuilder.

Brian

At 02:02 PM 5/31/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Dick;
>
>More confusion regarding starters.  Its my understanding that the Tilton
>Super Starter that fits Cortina motors is only sold under an exclusive
>arrangement by Dave Bean.  Thus the unusually high price no matter where you
>buy it from (much higher than the big block versions).  The Tilton piece uses
>a Nissan Starter motor from an early 260/280Z bolted to a new gear train and
>mounting flange.  It is MUCH more reliable than the Lucas ones I've used.
>
>There is also another Japanese starter conversion offered by a guy up in your
>area.  Unfortunately, I don't know his name, but I'll bet you could find out
>by calling Mark Viscov, or Murray Ross, both of whom have told me about it.
>I believe its much cheaper than the Tilton.
>
>I would add that even though the Tilton "bolted" onto the bellhousing, the
>Cortina's crossmember required alterations to clear the starter body....so it
>may not work without modifications for your applicatino either.
>
>Myles

Brian Evans
Director, Global Sales
UUNET, An MCI WorldCom Company