Re: Starter Motors Part 2

To: carter@i1.net, VINTAGE-RACE@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starter Motors Part 2
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 08:40:57 EDT
In a message dated 5/31/99 12:10:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time, carter@i1.net
writes:

<< This has puzzled me before.  Is anyone else
 confused on why one would work hard to
 get rid of a Lucas starter, only to replace it
 with a pep boys whatever rebuilt unit?
 15-20 years worth of experience replacing
 "rebuilt" starters and alternators has
 convinced me that I'd rather get a used
 Bosch from a junk yard than any lifetime
 warranty rebuilt piece.  I don't think budget
 rebuilders meet the standards of Bosch,
 Nipodenso, or maybe even Lucas...

There is really nothing wrong with the Lucas starters if they are properly
maintained and the battery has a good charge. If you are a racer you know
that these conditions are easy to overlook.

The bendix arrangement on the Lucas starter requires a good snap from the
battery to engage properly and the motor itself doesn't always have enough
power to spin a high compression race motor. If the engine starts to catch
the Lucas bendix will disengage.

The Jap starters eliminate these problems. They spin fast, have positive
engagement and crank on less than full voltage. They also seem to be pretty
reliable and they are available anywhere. Ever try to find a Lucas at
Watkins Glen or Road America? Just go to the Napa store and you can have one
of these babies on the counter in two minutes. Yes, I have had them go bad.
Usually the housing bolts loosen up. If you take the time to locktite them I
don't think you will have that problem.

Lastly, parts rebuilders aren't all as bad as you indicate. I wouldn't be
surprised if Bosch doesn't have this starter in their line. If they do I'll
bet it is still a Jap unit in Bosch packaging.

Jack Woehrle