Re: Starter Motors Part 2

To: <JWoesvra@aol.com>, <rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com>, <VINTAGE-RACE@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter Motors Part 2
From: "Carter Hendricks" <carter@i1.net>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 22:44:58 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: JWoesvra@aol.com <JWoesvra@aol.com>
To: rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com <rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com>;
VINTAGE-RACE@autox.team.net <VINTAGE-RACE@autox.team.net>
Date: 30 May, 1999 2:17 PM

>Use the same starter. Just elongate the holes to fit. It works very well. I
>have done it many times. I bet it drives the rebuilders crazy when they get
>one of these back. Most retail outlets offer a lifetime warranty!

This has puzzled me before.  Is anyone else
confused on why one would work hard to
get rid of a Lucas starter, only to replace it
with a pep boys whatever rebuilt unit?
15-20 years worth of experience replacing
"rebuilt" starters and alternators has
convinced me that I'd rather get a used
Bosch from a junk yard than any lifetime
warranty rebuilt piece.  I don't think budget
rebuilders meet the standards of Bosch,
Nipodenso, or maybe even Lucas...

                                            --Carter