Re: Starter Motors Part 2

To: JWoesvra@aol.com
Subject: Re: Starter Motors Part 2
From: M&J Rosen <mra@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 09:35:16 -0400

JWoesvra@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/31/99 12:10:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time, carter@i1.net
> writes:
>
> << This has puzzled me before.  Is anyone else
>  confused on why one would work hard to
>  get rid of a Lucas starter, only to replace it
>  with a pep boys whatever rebuilt unit?
>  15-20 years worth of experience replacing
>  "rebuilt" starters and alternators has
>  convinced me that I'd rather get a used
>  Bosch from a junk yard than any lifetime
>  warranty rebuilt piece.  I don't think budget
>  rebuilders meet the standards of Bosch,
>  Nipodenso, or maybe even Lucas...
>   >>

> There is really nothing wrong with the Lucas starters if they are properly
> maintained and the battery has a good charge. If you are a racer you know
> that these conditions are easy to overlook.
>
> The bendix arrangement on the Lucas starter requires a good snap from the
> battery to engage properly and the motor itself doesn't always have enough
> power to spin a high compression race motor. If the engine starts to catch
> the Lucas bendix will disengage.
>
> The Jap starters eliminate these problems. They spin fast, have positive
> engagement and crank on less than full voltage. They also seem to be pretty
> reliable and they are available anywhere. Ever try to find a Lucas at
> Watkins Glen or Road America? Just go to the Napa store and you can have one
> of these babies on the counter in two minutes. Yes, I have had them go bad.
> Usually the housing bolts loosen up. If you take the time to locktite them I
> don't think you will have that problem.
>
> Lastly, parts rebuilders aren't all as bad as you indicate. I wouldn't be
> surprised if Bosch doesn't have this starter in their line. If they do I'll
> bet it is still a Jap unit in Bosch packaging.
>
> Jack Woehrle

Just to fill in alittle more on Jack's comments:
My experience has been that starting up in the paddock before a race is no
problem at all when the Lucas starter is cool. But if it gets hot on the mock
grid and the start is delayed etc or perish-the-thought  the car stalls  (read
here a spin/lock-up or something else and my cluth foot isn't quick enough) the
Lucas starter won't fire the engine when hot.
This is with a new Lucas starter. Pep boys for me!

Mike Rosen