Re: Vintage, sticking to Concours

To: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev), vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Vintage, sticking to Concours
From: Walt@chekov.mayfield.hp.com (Walt Boeninger)
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 12:13:48 PDT
[from Chris Kantarjiev]
>You know, some of those folks with multi-million dollar cars have had
>them forever - got them when they were "worthless old race cars". David
>Love, for example, dirves the #9 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa. The general
>market price of that car is about $2.5 million, but he bought it out
>of a tree (really) at the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca. Somewhere in
>the mid70s, he broke a crank and complained that it cost him more to
>replace the crank, $10000, than he paid for the car.
>
>He drives that thing *hard*. I don't think his budget is what you think it is
I recall watching a 250TR (perhaps it was David Love) at one of
our Open Track events about 10 years ago, loading this million dollar
car on a single axle open trailer, pulled behind a mini pickup.
Should of had a camera...in my naiveity, i enquired about the
value of the car.  He replied, "I don't really know, I paid $5000
for it in the '60s"  I don't think the *value* really mattered much
to him.

PS  How do you *budget* for a $10,000 crank...;-)

-------
Regards

Walt Boeninger - Nor Cal SAAC   Web Site -  http://www.norcal-saac.org
Email: walt@hpwrcxe.mayfield.hp.com  67 GT500 & Shelby T-A coupe/ 71 Boss 351