Re: Vintage, sticking to Concours

To: <Ccanepa50@aol.com>, <deboer@pacbell.net>,
Subject: Re: Vintage, sticking to Concours
From: "John Lehman" <JELehman@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 16:08:32 -0400

> as a guy with a "disposable shell" car (sprite) I can say that after 5
years
> of racing I put together a new car (another sprite) spending over a year
> doing a ground up and spending many  many times the value of the car to
get
> it well prepared  it hurt like hell when  at VARA last month the  rookee
> "seeing red"  in a Pantera bumped into my side and cost me $600.00 in
body
> and paint work, (he was dismissed from the event) and he didnt even offer
an
> apology. My cheap old car is the best I can do and to me is worth as much
as
> a rare Ferrari because my heart is  built it.
>
> I really enjoy  being on the track with exotic old racecars as the
experience
> of being passed by the likes of Peter Giddings in a  thundering  old
Maserati
> is  wonderful.
> I'm sure in  my sprite is a bigger part of my gross assets than some
million
> dollar Ferrari is to its' owner, who in some cases can barely check the
oil,
> (I only wish I had a  income like his race  budget)

I think that says it for me, too.  I've got a GT6 Triumph with a verifiable
period racing history that represents a major investment in time and assets
to me.  I want very badly to begin vintage racing but only after I've had
the appropriate SCCA competition school.  Unfortunately that will have to
wait until next year since the local club cancelled the school at Nelson
Ledges due to unsafe conditions at the track.  That's okay with me, though
disappointing, since I want to race, not repair bodywork. I've watched lots
of "experienced" racers do stupid things, and "rookies" acquit themselves
well from my perspective on the sidelines.  I only want to be judged by my
fellow racers for what I do right, and want to be told constructively if I
do something wrong.  I would feel no less guilt and shame if I was
responsible for doing harm to somebody's "cheap old car" than somebody's
high buck exotic.  Surely I'm not alone in that sentiment...at least I hope
not.  I've been on the track in school with NASCAR cars and NATCC cars and
managed to mostly stay out of the way by using the mirrors.  There's a
novel idea.

John