Re: Vintage, sticking to Concours

To: Ccanepa50@aol.com
Subject: Re: Vintage, sticking to Concours
From: Bill Dalton <billd13@essex1.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 19:14:37 -0500
Ccanepa50@aol.com wrote:

> as a guy with a "disposable shell" car (sprite) I can say that after 5 years
> of racing I put together a new car (another sprite) spending over a year
> doing a ground up and spending many  many times the value of the car to get
> it well prepared  it hurt like hell when  at VARA last month the  rookee
> "seeing red"  in a Pantera bumped into my side and cost me $600.00 in  body
> and paint work, (he was dismissed from the event) and he didnt even offer an
> apology. My cheap old car is the best I can do and to me is worth as much as
> a rare Ferrari because my heart is  built it.
>
> I really enjoy  being on the track with exotic old racecars as the experience
> of being passed by the likes of Peter Giddings in a  thundering  old Maserati
> is  wonderful.
> I'm sure in  my sprite is a bigger part of my gross assets than some  million
> dollar Ferrari is to its' owner, who in some cases can barely check the oil,
> (I only wish I had a  income like his race  budget)
Right On!! It should not make any difference as to the value of the car
in vintage racing. There has got to be a place kept for the little guy
who is preparing a car he can afford to the same standard of quality as
the big dollar guys. It is very rare to see a guy with a high dollar car
doing work on his own car, however a couple of people that I see
regularly do do their own work on $300,000 cars and they are some of the
most careful drivers on the track. You just have to get to learn who is
who.
Bill Dalton,
        VSCDA Assistant Chief of Tech
        SCCA National Tech