Re: Jack the Bear -Reply

To: Howard Young <hyoung@dhhmail.dhh.state.la.us>
Subject: Re: Jack the Bear -Reply
From: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 13:14:36 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 11 Jul 1997, Howard Young wrote:

> don't know about that but my grandpaw always used a phrase  "it's a
> runnin' jesse".. when i asked about it  he said it was a reference to
> Jesse Owens.............he also told me the meaning of "it's a doozy"
> (Dusey)
>
>                                                                 HoYo
My grampa Gene, as we called him, loved old cars and had two favorite
expressions about driving. This was used when you asked him if "we were
there yet?" or later "which way should I go?"  to which he would
invariably reply "Drive on Laddy-buck, until I tell you to stop!"
        Of course if you or anyone drove a little too fast he would
exclaim "Faster than Barney Ol'field!"  or "He was goin' like Barney
Ol'field."
        Q: Are any of Barney Oldfield's cars still raced today?