Re: Jack the Bear -Reply

To: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>,
Subject: Re: Jack the Bear -Reply
From: Jack Rubin <jrubin@ryr.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 08:14:34 -0500
Yes, in the most literal sense - today is the "Millers at Milwaukee" event
for pre-war Indy cars at the Milwaukee Mile.  Last year there were a couple
of cars Barney did/could have driven including the replica Golden Submarine.

A great event -- last year there were a couple of Mercers, and an Indy
Studebaker in addition to the Millers and others.  Griff Borgeson was also
there, as much a treat as the cars.

Jack

At 01:14 PM 7/11/97 -0400, Kevin  O'Driscoll wrote:
>On Fri, 11 Jul 1997, Howard Young wrote:
>
>> don't know about that but my grandpaw always used a phrase  "it's a
>> runnin' jesse".. when i asked about it  he said it was a reference to
>> Jesse Owens.............he also told me the meaning of "it's a doozy"
>> (Dusey)

>>                                                                 HoYo
>My grampa Gene, as we called him, loved old cars and had two favorite
>expressions about driving. This was used when you asked him if "we were
>there yet?" or later "which way should I go?"  to which he would
>invariably reply "Drive on Laddy-buck, until I tell you to stop!"
>       Of course if you or anyone drove a little too fast he would
>exclaim "Faster than Barney Ol'field!"  or "He was goin' like Barney
>Ol'field."
>       Q: Are any of Barney Oldfield's cars still raced today?

    Jack Rubin
    jrubin@ryr.com