Re: [TR] Changing from DOT 3 to DOT 5 Fluif

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Changing from DOT 3 to DOT 5 Fluif
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 21:02:31 +0000
---- Frank Fisher <yellowtr3@yahoo.com> wrote:
> yes maybe
> i recall the original lasted the longest. but it was 50 years old so
> i cant blame anything buy maybe time for that failure!

FWIW, I had much the same experience.  The original switch on my TR3A lasted
for several years after switching to DOT 5 (long enough that I did not
associate it's failure with the DOT 5).  Several replacements from different
sources (including a switch from a Ford pickup truck sourced through FLAPS) all
failed within a year.  I thought at the time that the failures might be related
to the higher power bulbs I use for taillights.  I finally solved the problem
on the 3A by mounting a mechanical switch on the pedal box, which was still
working fine when the car got wrecked about 5 years later.

Likewise, the original switch in the current TR3 was still working fine when it
came to me; and failed within a few months after converting to DOT 5.  I wanted
something a bit more stealthy this time, so I made a bracket to mount the
switch inside the cabin, against the pedal arm.
http://goo.gl/LbhNv

Not the neatest of jobs, but it is practically invisible unless you crawl under
the dash and has worked great since 2009.

BTW, the hydraulic switches all failed somewhat gradually.  There was a period
where they would only make contact with very firm pressure on the pedal.

Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive