Re: [TR] TR4A - First Breakdown Update - Need Help Badly

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A - First Breakdown Update - Need Help Badly
From: "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <tjwakeman@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 07:23:59 -0700
> In a message dated 1/27/2012 6:26:41 PM Central Standard Time,
> guy@genfiniti.com writes:
>> Last week I reported that I experienced my very first on the road
>> breakdown.
>> While driving along one day I came behind some slow traffic, turned off
>> the
>> OD, and changed lanes.
>> When I got back on the gas I heard a loud noise, and the car would not
>> rev.
>> I could not troubleshoot then because my starter was shorted.
>>
>> The engine was rebuilt by yours truly, and had run well for the first 1100
>> miles.

<SNIP>

>> 9. It will start.. barely.  It idles very weakly, very rough for a bit and
>> just dies.
>> 10. I'll give it a little bit of throttle.  It does not rev.. mainly just
>> kills the engine
>> 11. When it dies, I can hear the sound of pressure escaping a cylinder
>> 12. I pull the plugs, all are wet with oil, but they have been from the
>> beginning.  A couple of times I had exhaust follow the plug on #1
>> 13. Twice I got backfire through a carb
>> 14. Exhaust has what looks to be wet soot shooting out the back, but they
>> have
>> been doing this from the beginning
When you rebuilt the engine did you install a new timing chain, timing
gears and tensioner?  Your description sounds kinda like a cam timing
problem to me.  Like something broke or the chain jumped a cog.

Your oil with the plugs sounds kinda like the rings have not yet settled
in. What are you using as a break in oil?

Teriann

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive