Re: [TR] TR4A - First Breakdown Update - Need Help Badly

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A - First Breakdown Update - Need Help Badly
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 08:20:30 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 1/27/2012 6:26:41 PM Central Standard Time,
guy@genfiniti.com writes:
> Last week I reported that I experienced my very first on the road
> breakdown.
> While driving along one day I came behind some slow traffic, turned off
> the
> OD, and changed lanes.
> When I got back on the gas I heard a loud noise, and the car would not
> rev.
> I could not troubleshoot then because my starter was shorted.
>
> The engine was rebuilt by yours truly, and had run well for the first 1100
> miles.
>
> I ordered a new starter from British Starters and got in installed last
> night.
> I am very impressed with it.
> This afternoon I set about getting the engine back up, and it still will
> not
> rev.
> Here's my list of tasks and observations..
>
> 1. I am running a new Pertronix drop-in dizzy
> 2. Spark plugs, coil and wires are all new.  I replaced the spark plugs
> and
> coil out of hope they might be the cause of weak spark.
> 3. Fuel pump is working..well
> 4. I turned over on the starter, no bad or strange noises (clanging or
> banging) heard.  Fuel pressure shoots up.
> 5. Camshaft is turning, actuating everything (dizzy turns, push-rods going
> up
> and down, etc.)
> 6. Valves are opening and closing just fine
> 7. I have spark at the plugs
> 8. I have compression in the cylinders (150 psi), although #4 was 10 psi
> higher than the others
> 9. It will start.. barely.  It idles very weakly, very rough for a bit and
> just dies.
> 10. I'll give it a little bit of throttle.  It does not rev.. mainly just
> kills the engine
> 11. When it dies, I can hear the sound of pressure escaping a cylinder
> 12. I pull the plugs, all are wet with oil, but they have been from the
> beginning.  A couple of times I had exhaust follow the plug on #1
> 13. Twice I got backfire through a carb
> 14. Exhaust has what looks to be wet soot shooting out the back, but they
> have
> been doing this from the beginning

Have you put a timing light on it and checked the timing?  You may have
spark at the plugs when they are out of the engine but what about under load.
And is it at the right time?

You might try another cap and rotor since they are pretty cheap and easy to
replace.  I've heard stories about a rotor that was breaking down and
shorting out to the shaft but only under load when the voltage required by the
spark plugs goes up.

Maybe we're grasping at straws but these are pretty easy straws to grasp.

Dave

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive