Re: [TR] TR4A - First Breakdown Update - Need Help Badly

To: "'G.D. Huggins'" <guy@genfiniti.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A - First Breakdown Update - Need Help Badly
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 19:27:59 -0800
> When I got back on the gas I heard a loud noise, and the car
> would not rev.

I would check the valve timing.  Also hook up a timing light, and check what
the ignition timing is doing when you open the throttle.

> 3. Fuel pump is working..well

Any chance it's making too much pressure?

> I figured it dies when I give it gas because it is flooding,
> because there is
> not a strong enough spark to ignite the mixture.

It might be dying from lack of spark, but lack of spark should have no
effect on mixture.  Have you tried temporarily leaning out the mixture?

> I figure the plugs are wet with oil because the rings have
> not yet set,

Wishful thinking, IMO.  The improvement from rings "bedding in" is subtle;
if you're pumping that much oil, IMO there is a problem that will not
resolve itself.

I don't have a lot of faith in Pertronix ... is there any way you can go
back to points?  Maybe someone local has a dizzy that they would loan you
temporarily?

-- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html