RE: [TR] Clutch Adjustment

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [TR] Clutch Adjustment
From: terryrs@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 15:09:00 +0000
> > (Actually, having too much freeplay would seem to mean the
> > clutch should be disengaging midway or lower down the pedal's
> > travel, right?)

> Terry, my point is that there is less than one inch of total travel at the
> clutch slave. If you think you have that much freeplay, you are measuring
> it wrong or you have the wrong parts.

The adjustment of the clutch is made at the slave cylinder rod that feeds the
clutch lever.  That is where the freeplay is.  My point is that there is no
freeplay in the clutch lever itself, leading to the suggestion from list
members that there is pre-loading on the throwout bearing.  My question about
what makes that occur.

> And having no freeplay at all can cause exactly the symptom you describe.

Exactly.

> >I have freeplay on the slave even with the clevis pin removed and the slave
> fork removed
> > from the transmission lever.

> This statement makes no sense. Which seems to make it even clearer that you
> are not measuring the right thing.

It makes clear sense to me, but that's scary because I'm not an engineer.  If
I'm misreading something, I'm writing eager for an education.

> Since having it wrong can cause exactly the symptom you are complaining
> about, my suggestion is to either learn how to do it right; or find someone
> who does to do it for you.

Thank you for your many years of help while I restored my car, Randall.  I
continue to value your advice.  I must add, though, that obviously if I'm
asking a question it's because I am seeking to "learn to do it right."  You can
choose to answer or not.  Being disrespectful doesn't have to be part of the
equation.

I still owe you a beer for all those other times (well...okay...a keg)!

Terry
New Hampshire

===     http://www.vtr.org