Re: [TR] Clutch Adjustment

To: terryrs@comcast.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Clutch Adjustment
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:51:31 EDT
In a message dated 6/20/2007 11:31:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
terryrs@comcast.net writes:
> The adjustment of the clutch is made at the slave cylinder rod that feeds
> the clutch lever.  That is where the freeplay is.  My point is that there is
> no freeplay in the clutch lever itself, leading to the suggestion from list
> members that there is pre-loading on the throwout bearing.  My question about
> what makes that occur.

I see two possible causes for not having play at the slave cylinder.  One is
the push rod is too long.  The TR3 should have an adjustable push rod.  If it
does not you have the wrong push rod.  Perhaps you have a TR6 push rod.  With
a push rod that is too long the piston will bottom out in the slave cylinder
before the clutch is fully engaged causing the problem.  Of course, if this is
the problem it makes me wonder how you got the push rod installed since the
clutch pressure plate is partially depressed at rest.

The other possibility is that the master cylinder has a problem.  On the end
of the piston assembly in the master cylinder is a cup that seals off the
passage to the reservoir.  There is a small rod that will retract that cup and
open up the passage when the pedal is fully released.  If that rod comes loose
from the piston the cup will remain in place and not allow the fluid to expand
into the reservoir as it warms up causing residual pressure in the system even
with the pedal fully released.  An easy way to test this is to try bleeding
the clutch hydraulics to relieve the residual pressure.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org