RE: re. Going retro with cassette tapes

To: <ZinkZ10C@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: re. Going retro with cassette tapes
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 17:58:51 -0500
Shhhhh Harold, you're giving away trade secrets from us software makers.
:^)

I wonder if someone will push this backwards compatibility thing a step
farther and start making a wax/tin foil cylinder engraver for those
desperate to hear Dire Straits on their old Edison phonograph.

http://www.todotango.com/english/biblioteca/cronicas/fonovsgra.html

I recall in the sixties having saved a small electric gramophone player
from the neighbour's trash. It had an electric motor, but no electronics
of any type for the sound, just a funny sort of resonator like a car
horn working in reverse. It was missing the regular needle so I grabbed
a needle from my mother's sewing kit and got quite a decent sound out of
the thing. Since I was about six or seven at the time I was proud of
having "fixed" the machine. My father was less pleased with me for
playing his hi-fi records with a sewing needle though...

Mark