TR-3A box vs rack&pinion steering

To: TR list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR-3A box vs rack&pinion steering
From: James Ruffner <jar@aldermanroad.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 17:49:35 -0500
The issue of the steering box on TR-3s is interesting.  I still have the
original box, only minimal play.   Many years ago, because of the wear
concern relating to the worm and peg arrangement relates to one prime
issue:  making sure that you oil the worm/peg system regularly.

Since I was concerned, I happened to purchase a new-in-box pitman arm
and peg assembly, and salvaged an  excellent worm many years ago.  They
still sit there, in the original containers.

I personally prefer the steering on the -3s, due, as someone quipped,
the rapid turning ratio.  The prime problem is that when sitting, the
steering is rather stiff.  That's why many of the afficianados call the
-3s "men's" cars, and the -4's, "women's:  the much lighter steering on
the -4s.  I have a -60 3A, -4, and -6,  all having been daily drivers at
one point in their lives, so I know the vagarities of all of them in re.
their steering.

Cheers.

===     http://www.vtr.org