Re: re. Going retro with cassette tapes

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: re. Going retro with cassette tapes
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 17:45:20 -0700
Mark Hooper wrote:

>Shhhhh Harold, you're giving away trade secrets from us software makers.
>:^)
>
>I wonder if someone will push this backwards compatibility thing a step
>farther and start making a wax/tin foil cylinder engraver for those
>desperate to hear Dire Straits on their old Edison phonograph.
>
>http://www.todotango.com/english/biblioteca/cronicas/fonovsgra.html

Interesting link. Actually DVD makers could learn something from the Big
3 phonography companies -- who were able to agree on a standard to their
mutual benefit. I understand that next-generation DVD standards aren't
as easy to come by.

I have my grandparents' Edison 78 rpm console and dozens of their
records. But I'm in dire straits indeed as the collection is almost
entirely made up of ukelali music. With a nice version of Stars and
Stripes thrown in. I hope to find some early jazz recordings to round
out the collection. The Edison used a diamond needle, cutting edge (as
it were) for it's time, no need to raid the sewing kit.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2

===     http://www.vtr.org