RE: re. Going retro with cassette tapes

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: re. Going retro with cassette tapes
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 16:45:39 -0800
> The PlusDeck software is very basic and doesn't do
> anything other than covert the files.  It doesn't offer any
> editing or sound engineering features.  It simply converts analog
> audio to either MP3 or WAV (your choice of format and sample
> rate) or from MP3/WAV to analog.

So what exactly is the advantage of the PlusDeck over a conventional tape
deck ?  Just that it pushes a button for you every hour or so ?

Don't recall the name offhand, but I use ripping software that came bundled
with either the CD drive or the sound card, that waits for non-silence
before starting the recording process and then parses into tracks based on
user-selectable sound gaps (and trims off the silence).  So, after setting
levels, I just start the program, push "play" and walk away.  Since I bought
an auto-reverse deck, the entire cassette gets copied to disc and parsed
into tracks.

I generally record in WAV format and then convert to MP3 using CDex.  Gives
me more flexibility in choosing compression parameters to match the source
material.  But the ripping software will do MP3 on the fly, if I choose.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org