RE: Adjusting Valves

To: "'Jim Muller'" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Adjusting Valves
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:23:25 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-triumphs@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Jim Muller
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 4:29 PM
To: triumphs@autox.team.net

On 21 Nov 2003 at 11:19, Randall Young wrote:

> Note that it's not essential to
> hit the balance point exactly to set the clearances

Not to be pedantic or anything (not that that ever stopped me from
being silly), but we are assuming in most of this discussion that the
back sides of the cam lobes are indeed round.  In a perfect world
they would be, and I can't think of anything systematic (except
possibly excessive valve bounce) that would cause them to wear into
non-roundness.  Still, it is possible, I suppose, that uneven metal
hardness or poor grinding or some other unpredictabilty might cause
such.  If so, then "valve clearance" is a poorly-defined concept!
Perhaps Randall Y or Joe C or Andy M might have seen it.  Given that
you'd rather have valves too loose than too tight, this possibility
suggests checking each valve at several places in the rotation.
Lotta' extra work!

Or how about installing hydraulic lifters and setting them with the
engine running!!  :)

Joe