RE: Adjusting Valves

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Adjusting Valves
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 07:00:16 -0800
> 1. Turn engine by hand until the #'s 1&2 valves are both closed;
> the rocker
> arms will both be at the same attitude       and have lateral
> play - (check by
> wiggling back and forth)
>
>  2. Adjust to .010
>
>  3. Turn engine and repeat with 3rd&4th valves and so on.....
>
> This method seems a lot easier to follow than the Shop Manuals
> approach of
> open #8 adjust #1, open #6 adjust #3, ... ....easier to do,
> easier to follow ---
>  there must be something inherently wrong or evil with it, no?
> Could I damage
> the engine using this method? Thanks,

The problem is that there is a gradual ramp between fully closed and open,
you may not be able to tell if one of the lifters is on that ramp.  The
result would be a valve that is set too loose, which isn't likely to hurt
anything immediately but will result in lower performance, more valve noise,
and possibly faster wear.

I prefer to turn the engine until a pair of intake/exhaust is "on balance"
(both slightly open); then set the valves on the cylinder that is opposite
in the firing order (which are guaranteed to be on the base circle).

Randall