RE: Adjusting Valves

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Adjusting Valves
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:19:59 -0800
> Randall wrote :
> >I prefer to turn the engine until a pair of intake/exhaust is
> "on balance"
> >(both slightly open); then set the valves on the cylinder that
> is opposite
> >in the firing order (which are guaranteed to be on the base circle).

Chuck replied :

> So, from the  #1 cylinder, with the first and second valves on
> balance, the  opposite cylinder would be...?

Easiest might be a chart, although I just do it in my head.  TRactor motor
firing order is 1-3-4-2, so :

balance         set
--------                ---
1                         4
3                         2
4                         1
2                         3

For a different engine, you can just follow the plug lead back to the
distributor and skip directly across the cap, then follow that lead back to
the cylinder to set.  The "balance and set the opposite" trick works on any
in-line engine with an even number of cylinders (and on most V engines).

>  Would i be correct in thinking  the opposite
> cylinder's rocker arms would be seen as being at the same attitude?

Not certain I understand your question here, but I think the answer is yes.
The cylinder on balance (as the factory called it in the TR2-3 workshop
manual) will have both valves open slightly, while the opposite cylinder
will have both valves completely closed.  Note that it's not essential to
hit the balance point exactly to set the clearances, just try to get in the
range where the intake is closing and the exhaust is opening.  If you are
turning the engine forwards, this is just as the exhaust valve closes.  If
you are turning it backwards, it's just as the intake closes.

Randall