Re: TR4 Fanbelt Pulley removal

To: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>, Fred <fred@tr-ific.com>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 Fanbelt Pulley removal
From: <stantr6@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:48:15 -0500
List, et.al.,
A tidbit I overheard at SE VTR this past weekend.......
When installing a fanbelt, tie-wrap a second belt behind the cross-member.
That way, it is already past the pinch point and ready to be cut loose and
installed if/when the one in use fails.
Haven't tried it myself, but sounds reasonable.
Stan

> From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
> Date: 2002/10/29 Tue PM 12:54:05 EST
> To: Fred <fred@tr-ific.com>,  Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Re: TR4 Fanbelt Pulley removal
>
> Fred wrote:
>
> > Alright, I give up -- does anyone out there know how to remove the fan belt?
> > There is maybe a 1/16" clearance between the tapered pulley and the steering
> > component located beneath.... I have removed the fan and bolts to the pulley
>
> Well, Step 1 is: always ask the email list before you start
> work. ;-) But even though a reasonable person might think
> "surely you don't have to disassemble the car to change
> the belt?", that's the answer. You simply picked the wrong
> parts to remove. As mentioned on the list, loosen the motor
> mount(s) and jack the engine. When I did mine preventatively
> in the driveway, I only had to loosen the passenger side
> mount -- which was easiest to get to. And as mentioned
> use a board to avoid damage to the sump. This is worth
> doing before your belt gets really worn to avoid a failure
> on the road.
>
> Spares: I carry an adjustable emergency fan belt rather
> than the cleverly stashed spare. I figure that way if I stop
> to help a stranded TR driver replace his/her fan belt, I
> won't have to jack up my engine so he/she can use my
> spare belt.
>
> Tightness: my generator failed very shortly after I
> installed the new belt. The belt shouldn't be over tight.
> This would be a good time to lube the generator
> bearings if required, and double check the mounting
> bracket bolts too (a loose or crooked generator suffers
> more bearing stress and can fail quickly). Or just switch
> to an alternator when you replace the belt, save a few
> steps. ;-)
>
> --
> Steven Newell
> Littleton, CO
> '62 TR4

Stan Kinmonth
1974 TR6, Frame-off coming back together.
http://home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/PWP-stan6restore