RE: TR4 Fanbelt Pulley removal

To: Fred <fred@tr-ific.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR4 Fanbelt Pulley removal
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:39:42 -0800
> Alright, I give updoes anyone out there know how to remove the fan
> belt?  There is maybe a 1/16 clearance between the tapered pulley and
> the steering component located beneath.  (See link below for pic) I have
> removed the fan and bolts to the pulley, pounded on the tapered shaft
> and it doesnt budge.  The Bentley doesnt provide any hints (unless Im
> missing something)

Fred, if you just want the fan belt off, try putting a board and jack under
the engine pan and lifting the engine a tad.  You may have to undo the motor
mount on one side, but often not.  Also, you can add shims (P/N 109582) to
the motor mounts, to get clearance to change the belt on the side of the
road.

If you really want the hub extension (the 'tapered shaft' part) off, you
will have to remove the fan first, and then undo the big bolt in the center.
Once it's out, the extension should come off easily.

Randall