RE: poor quality repro hood safety latch for TR6

To: "'pdonnel1@san.rr.com'" <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Subject: RE: poor quality repro hood safety latch for TR6
From: "Arakelian, Peter" <arakelianp@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:07:27 -0800
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
        <You've really missed the point. You now have a few people
complaining about the quality of the part, and your QC says it's fine after
trying it once?  Hmmm.  There's a logical conclusion I could draw here about
other Moss parts, but in all fairness I'd rather not.

> Regarding your comment on how to raise and lower the bonnet, all I can say
> is that I just finished a ground up resto on the car and spent a bloody
> fortune doing it (and making Moss much wealthier). Now you're telling me I
> "slam" the hood down, and that's why your precious latch bent and the
> spring broke? My wife wishes I treated her as nice as I do my car!
>
> Here's the acid test ... put one on YOUR car, and try it out for 6 months.
> Make sure you open and close the hood a few times each week. If yours
> hasn't bent, or the spring doesn't break, then I will buy another. But, if
> the spring breaks, or you have to rebend it,  then Moss will upgrade their
> QC specs to cause the latches to be rejected, thus, not sold to anybody
> else, and you'll send me the original latch you took off of your car. :>
>
> While we wait, you may want to look into another source of latches.>

        Let's try once again.
        You have missed MY point.  No one has, even yet, complained to Moss
Motors about this part.  I happen to get this list for my own personal
benefit.  That is the only way I noticed someone may have a problem.  I have
chosen to turn this over to my QC department which on my word has test fit a
latch and found it to function with no problem.  It seems to me that if it
works, it works.  Time isn't going to change the fit.  If the latch engages
smoothly on initial installation, then bends some time later, there is
something else going on.  The spring failure is a different question for
which Moss Motors has, even yet, received no complaints.
        When your part failed, did you advise Moss?  Did you send back the
bad part?  Has anyone? NO.
        That is MY point.  Without details, there is only a limited number
of things we can do.  We have no idea about your situation, the condition of
the piece, who you are, or your car.  We have seen people drop their hoods.
What do you say to the approximately 600 other people to whom we have sold
this latch in the last year?

Peter Arakelian
Domestic Buyer
Moss Motors, Ltd.