RE: poor quality repro hood safety latch for TR6

To: "'Arakelian, Peter'" <arakelianp@mossmotors.com>
Subject: RE: poor quality repro hood safety latch for TR6
From: john & patricia donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 12:59:10 -0800
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Peter,

You've really missed the point. You now have a few people complaining about
the quality of the part, and your QC says it's fine after trying it once?
 Hmmm.  There's a logical conclusion I could draw here about other Moss
parts, but in all fairness I'd rather not.

Regarding your comment on how to raise and lower the bonnet, all I can say
is that I just finished a ground up resto on the car and spent a bloody
fortune doing it (and making Moss much wealthier). Now you're telling me I
"slam" the hood down, and that's why your precious latch bent and the
spring broke? My wife wishes I treated her as nice as I do my car!

Here's the acid test ... put one on YOUR car, and try it out for 6 months.
Make sure you open and close the hood a few times each week. If yours
hasn't bent, or the spring doesn't break, then I will buy another. But, if
the spring breaks, or you have to rebend it,  then Moss will upgrade their
QC specs to cause the latches to be rejected, thus, not sold to anybody
else, and you'll send me the original latch you took off of your car. :>

While we wait, you may want to look into another source of latches.

John

Here-in lies the problem folks,  "The horror story has been circulating
around for years now."  We have no record of anyone ever complaining about
this piece!  If you don't tell your supplier, problems will never be fixed.
 Sourced from Taiwan has no bearing on requiring improvement or
modifications from the manufacturer.  In addition, just to let you know how
quickly my QC works, they have just come to me to say they test fitted a
latch to one of our TR6's and it works perfectly all pieces lining up as
they should. In my experience some adjustment may be required to line
everything up - this is true of any replacement body related part.  If your
latch is bending easily - which by the way our test piece did not - my
question is why is it in a position to be bent?  You shouldn't be dropping
the hood; this isn't a new car!  The hood should be lowered slowly so it
doesn't twist or damage adjacent parts when lowered.
Peter Arakelian
Domestic Buyer
Moss Motors, Ltd.
(805) 681-3400 x3214
(805) 692-2510 - Fax

[demime removed a uuencoded section named WINMAIL.DAT which was 110 lines]