RE: poor quality repro hood safety latch for TR6

To: "'pdonnel1@san.rr.com'" <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Subject: RE: poor quality repro hood safety latch for TR6
From: "Arakelian, Peter" <arakelianp@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:54:19 -0800
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
        <I had the same experience on my TR4A. I believe it's the same part
(Moss # 802-275). I bought mine (from Moss) about three years ago. The
plunger mechanism seems OK, but the hook latch sucks.  It's made out of
cheap pot metal that bends very easily.  Two days before going to Triumphest
the hook spring popped out and I had to jury-rig it back in.

> The horror story on this part has been circulating around for a few years
> now, and I had heard it was single-sourced out of Taiwan, so complaining
> would get nowhere.
>
> Is there another manufacturer of the part? I'd be happy to pay for a
> quality part.
>
> Thanks,
> John in San Diego>

        Here-in lies the problem folks,  "The horror story has been
circulating around for years now."  We have no record of anyone ever
complaining about this piece!  If you don't tell your supplier, problems
will never be fixed.  Sourced from Taiwan has no bearing on requiring
improvement or modifications from the manufacturer.  In addition, just to
let you know how quickly my QC works, they have just come to me to say they
test fitted a latch to one of our TR6's and it works perfectly all pieces
lining up as they should. In my experience some adjustment may be required
to line everything up - this is true of any replacement body related part.
If your latch is bending easily - which by the way our test piece did not -
my question is why is it in a position to be bent?  You shouldn't be
dropping the hood; this isn't a new car!  The hood should be lowered slowly
so it doesn't twist or damage adjacent parts when lowered.
Peter Arakelian
Domestic Buyer
Moss Motors, Ltd.
(805) 681-3400 x3214