Re: Vintage Battery

To: SOThornton@aol.com, rbtr3a@cox.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vintage Battery
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 07:51:52 EDT
In a message dated 10/19/02 12:14:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
SOThornton@aol.com writes:

> The directions are important. The solution is to be filled to a certain
> point, which if memory serves me correct, is lower than a normal battery

Steve is right on here.  The battery must not be filled too high.  According
to the supplier the acid should just cover the plates.  I have several them
in my TR's.  They no longer have a tar top and now have a poly top which
helps a little. They are kind of cool looking but beware.

I made the mistake of over filling the one in my TR250 and it boiled over
during a TRF autocross.  What a bummer!  I was able to save the engine bay by
promptly flooding it with water, but the distraction cost me a good time.
They will die quickly if you don't keep them charged up and last about three
seasons. There is no decal, LUCAS is embossed on the front and on the filler
caps.

Cheers,
Darrell