RE: Oil Pressure woes

Subject: RE: Oil Pressure woes
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 09:07:26 -0700
> Please tell me where I would get a micrometer.

IMO, Enco's "import" grade is adequate for occasional home use.  Mine needed
to be zeroed, but the tools and instructions to do so are provided.  They
also carry the more expensive brand names like Mitutoyo and B&S that are
undoubtedly higher quality, but at a price.  I've also never had them take
more than 2 weeks to fill an order, usually just a few days.
http://www.use-enco.com/

> I thought of Plastigage and the weight of the crank.  I thought
> the  gravity
> factor from under the car may give my a false reading.  Is that true?

In theory yes.  But, it seemed to work OK for me.  With the crank in the
engine, you can't get a micrometer on the main journals either.

> Please tell me about the felts..I can't find felts in the VB or Moss
> catalogs.  In the manual they say to cut 7 inch strips 3/4 inch wide and
> shellac it and jam it in the hole with a drift.

My factory manual says you need two 9" long strips of felt, and to cut them
into 3/4" lengths.  The felt itself is about 1/4" square in cross section.

>  Where do I get the felts

Usually they only come as part of the gasket set.  However Ken Gillanders at
BFE has written that many sets no longer include enough felt (perhaps they
read the same 7" figure you did <g>) and so he has a supply of suitable
felt.  No web page, but you can contact him at :

British Frame and Engine
4831 N. Ryland Ave
Temple City, CA  91780
(626) 443-0939
BFEKENG@aol.com

> and what is the accepted way to install them?

I do it just as the manual says, except I have a piece of aluminum rod I use
for a drift.  Cut the felt into pieces first, lay them in a disposable jar
lid and pour Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket (or your favorite brand of
gasket shellac) over them.  Let them soak for a bit.  Then start each piece
in turn into the hole with your fingers, and tamp it down with the drift.
Properly done, you should see shellac oozing out between the cap and block
(which you can wipe away if you want).  Nitrile gloves (from HF) would
probably be a good idea, it does get messy.  However, you can wash the
shellac off with denatured alcohol.

Randall