Oil Pressure woes

Subject: Oil Pressure woes
From: "McMahon, Jack" <JMcmahon@ictgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 18:31:22 -0400
I installed a new oil pump and am still having problems.  I should have did
the rods and mains but that's another story. Harbor Freight sent me a post
card saying the micrometer was shipped...After 2 weeks of waiting I called
and they told me it was back ordered and will take another month.  I'm not
as crazy about those guys as some the listers.  Anyway, I got tired of
waiting so I just ordered an oil pump and the results are unusual.  Instead
of 70 lbs cold, it will run all the way up to 100 if I floor it.  The
pressure relief value doesn't stop the pressure anymore.  Also, I have 15
lbs of pressure at idle after it heats up in lieu of the 10 I had before.
The temp gauge is 10 degrees cooler so I know the pump had a somewhat
positive effect although it did not cure the problem.

I've read the archives and there are hundreds of stories about how to cure
the dreaded oil pressure problems from the pressure relief valve to the
valve cover oil line.  This gets to be an expensive process of elimination.
I will try to adjust the pressure relief valve to reset the max oil
pressure.  After that I'm not sure what is the logical progression.

The engine is strong as an ox and has great compression so I want to know
what are my next steps?  A majority of list folks say to do the rod and main
bearings. The rod bearings are easy but I don't have a clue as to how to do
the mains from under the car.  Can anyone tell me in detail how to replace
the mains in without pulling the engine?  And what about the thrust washers,
how do I know what size they should be?

Help me out guys,  Thanks in advance

Jack
59 TR3