Oil Pressure woes

To: "McMahon, Jack" <JMcmahon@ictgroup.com>
Subject: Oil Pressure woes
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 19:57:07 -0400
Message text written by "McMahon, Jack"
>I installed a new oil pump and am still having problems.  I should have
did
the rods and mains but that's another story. Harbor Freight sent me a post
card saying the micrometer was shipped...After 2 weeks of waiting I called
and they told me it was back ordered and will take another month.  I'm not
as crazy about those guys as some the listers.  Anyway, I got tired of
waiting so I just ordered an oil pump and the results are unusual.  Instead
of 70 lbs cold, it will run all the way up to 100 if I floor it.  The
pressure relief value doesn't stop the pressure anymore.  Also, I have 15
lbs of pressure at idle after it heats up in lieu of the 10 I had before.
The temp gauge is 10 degrees cooler so I know the pump had a somewhat
positive effect although it did not cure the problem.
<

Jack, I'm not sure you have a problem.  TR gauges are not notorius for
being accurate.  You might try an after market gauge for comparison to see
if your pressure isn't actually better than you think.  15 PSI at idle
isn't really all that bad. My TR8 idles at 8 to 10 PSI.  I'm told that this
is normal for these engines.  It's done that for tha last 20,000 miles and
it isn't getting any worse and it doesn't make any funny (ugly) noises, so
I've stopped worring about it.  A more important question is: what is the
oil pressure at 1500 RPM?  Or 2500 RPM?  If the pressure is up around 35 at
1500 then I'd say it is pretty healthy.

You can replace all the crank bearings without too much trouble.  I did in
in my TR6 and saw a marked increase - but I put in a new oil pump at the
same time.  It takes about a day.

Enjoy the car, that's what it is for.

Cheers

Dave