RE: Oil Pressure woes

Subject: RE: Oil Pressure woes
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:03:34 -0700
> I installed a new oil pump and am still having problems.  I
> should have did
> the rods and mains but that's another story. Harbor Freight sent me a post
> card saying the micrometer was shipped...After 2 weeks of waiting I called
> and they told me it was back ordered and will take another month.  I'm not
> as crazy about those guys as some the listers.

Jack, I 'like' Harbor Freight, have lots of their tools ... but I would
never buy a micrometer from them !!!

BTW, Plastigage is cheap, and available at any auto parts store.  You don't
really need a micrometer.  Since you're not grinding the crank anyway, all
you can do is put the same size inserts back that came out (and the old ones
will have the size marked on the back).

>  Anyway, I got tired of
> waiting so I just ordered an oil pump and the results are
> unusual.  Instead
> of 70 lbs cold, it will run all the way up to 100 if I floor it.  The
> pressure relief value doesn't stop the pressure anymore.

Just a WAG, but I wonder if someone cranked the relief valve spring down
before, in an attempt to raise the oil pressure.  It may not have been
opening before either, the pump was just so tired that 70 psi was all it
could muster.

> I will try to adjust the pressure relief valve to reset the max oil
> pressure.  After that I'm not sure what is the logical progression.

I would sure get the bearings changed as the very next step.  The oil feed
to the head does not increase oil pressure, it actually lowers it, so I
wouldn't go there.

> Can anyone tell me in detail how to replace
> the mains in without pulling the engine?

Remove the main caps one at a time.  Take one of the lower inserts and
flatten it with a mallet, then use it as a drift (soft side towards the
crank) to tap the upper insert out a little bit.  (Obviously, it has to come
out from the side with the key, so tap on the other side.)  Now pinch the
exposed key (the tab that sticks out of the insert) against the crank, and
turn the crank to walk the insert out.  Lube up a new insert and slide it
into place, being sure the key goes into the slot.  New insert in the cap,
install cap and torque it before moving to the next main.  Don't forget the
felt around the rear main cap !

>  And what about the
> thrust washers,
> how do I know what size they should be?

They only come in two sizes.  Get a set of each.  Install the standard ones
in the block and check the clearance.  If it's too big, use one or both of
the oversize inserts.  Put the leftover inserts on eBay <g>

Or, since TR3s rarely have trouble with the TW (unlike the later 6-cyl), and
they have nothing to do with oil pressure, you could just stuff a set of
standard washers in and not worry about it ...

Randall